Sunday, June 7, 2009

A brand new tune

I love where the world takes me. Today I had the pleasure of meeting with two young women, Brenley MacEachern and Lisa MacIsaac. Together, they form the duo Madison Violet.

In all sincerity, I had only heard of them due to the fact that they are among the performers who will be at the Kincardine Scottish Festival. When I heard that they were coming to town for a cd release party prior to the Festival, I was stoked and jumped at the chance to be the one who got to write the article about them for the paper.

They really were great to talk to; so nice and very real people. I like running across people who are 'real,' regardless of what they do for a living. They both sat across the table from me, very patient and helpful as I scattered my questions, jumping back and forth on topics. I'm sure they have had their share of interviews over their careers, with interviewers who were like me, a little unsure. I hold the opinion that people are people, no matter 'who' you are. What I get impressed by is people who follow a passion and put it in their lives. These gals definitely fit the bill. They are topping the list with Faith, the 15 year old girl I've interviewed about her fundraising for mission trips.

They gave me a copy of their new CD, No Fool For Trying, which I listened to as soon as I got home. I think that the best part of meeting them today was discovering their great sound, and knowing that it will fit perfectly in my own music library -- it's completely the kind of music that I love. A great mix of folk and bluegrass, which, as they noted, this cd is quite stripped down from albums in the past. I wonder if I had come across them in the past if I'd be so fond of them. Doesn't matter now, because I think I'm hooked ;)

Check 'em out http://www.madisonviolet.com/. I highly recommend them! And really, who doesn't want to support Canadian artists???

No comments: