Thursday, October 18, 2007

One and Two

::

A noise of downtown I am getting accustomed to is the fire engine and police sirens. Who knew there were so many dire situations in a day?

My boss said one day, when there was an excessive volume of sirens, "I've been here for 5 years and I've never read about any actual fires. I think they just put the sirens on to get attention."

I said "Well, you know, it's because all the fires are on the 13th floor."

He didn't get my joke. C'mon...it was funny.

::

Does it make me weird somehow that I find glee in seeing the mice at the subway station??

To see them running along the tracks before the train comes, their coats so surprisingly shiny, puts a smile on my face. I like to know that even along the grit and grime of the subway tracks, where people carelessly throw their trash, where people get whisked away every 5 to 8 minutes, little creatures are living their own little world.

Granted, I'd be happier for these little mice if they were running free in a field of grass, or borrowing in a barn. But it's the city.

Yeah, I like mice.
::

No comments: