Monday, February 2, 2009

Everything I need to know…I didn't learn in Kindergarten

I’m 28. Soon to be 29. What I am about admit to you, you would not expect to hear from someone my age. If a 12 year old girl told you this, I think you’d shrug it off. But this…this is, completely and utterly nonsensical.

This past weekend, my little three year old niece Olivia came up for a visit. After supper time, she and I went on a hunt for the missing flashlight (ahem, the flashlight that I had hid in the cupboard before dinner because she was flashing it in everyone’s eyes…shhhh). We went upstairs and looked in every room. When we got to my room, I sat down, and she looked at all my stuff. I showed her my stuffed animals (yes, I still have some on my bed), and then I picked up this lovely fluffy dog and asked her if she would like to sleep with it.

She said yes.

My heart began to race and my hands started to shake.

Inside my head there was this panicked voice screaming at me ARE YOU CRAZY!?!?! YOU’RE GIVING YOUR TOY TO HER!?!??! I then answered the voice and told myself I was silly. She’s my niece who I love love love to pieces, and this dog was only a toy.

But still. I couldn’t believe I had even offered this.

So what did I do? Well…I gingerly took back my stuffed animal, hugged him, and promptly put him back on my bed where he belongs and shooed Olivia out of the room.

Phew, this explosive sharing situation was avoided!!

No comments: