Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Life shouldn't be like that

The irony of life never fails to astound me.

I'm a kid who doesn't watched the news becuase it is too depressing; and because I believe in the glamourization of the news and that they only tell us what they want, and how they want, to make us react in specific ways~but that is a whole other story. I read the news online~I pick and choose what I want to hear. I listen to what they announce on the radio and carry on with my day. The war in Iraq happens, and I let it pass me by. I stream a radio station from Sydney, Australia, and am fascinated by their news reports...they have such a different format from our typical news announcements, and their focus is a little left of ours.

A story that stuck in my head was that there is new legislation in the works in Australia that states that bouncers of bars and clubs are now to be held accountable for their actions. That if they are too aggressive and assault a patron of the establishment, they are to be fired, fined and charged. I thought to myself, hey, that's a good peice of legislation.

Here is the irony.

My brother was enjoying his St Patrick's day celebration in Mississauga, went to a house party and then carried on to a local pub. Upon leaving the pub, he got the shit kicked out of him by the bouncer and ended up in the hospital with such damage to his head that his brain was actually bleeding. He has no recollection of what happened. He was the last of his friends leaving the pub so no one really saw what happened, or more importantly, why it happened.

Bouncer claims my brother was yelling racial slurs at him.

My brother is no angel, but he's not dumb enough to say dirty words to a 300 lb bouncer, who is known in the neighbourhood to be excessively aggressive.

Now he gets to look forward to 3 months of doing nothing and being watched like a hawk in case he starts getting seizures.

Thank you Mr. Bouncer Man for being a total fuckwitt.

I am not familiar with our own legislation in regard to situation such as this. I don't know who gets held accountable. I know that the police have charged this guy with assault. But beyond that, who knows what his punishment will be. Likely a stern "don't do that again please."

Woo-hoo Canada. Way to stand up for the victims of crime in your nation. We love you too.

No comments: