Friday, May 11, 2007

What did you just ask??

Age is a tricky thing.

Here I sit at 27, a world of opportunity still presented before me. I am currently in a transition in concern to employment, and in my living arrangements~preparing myself for a move. All is good, things are going the direction I want them to.

Yet I get stuck on the age factor. A lot. No, not just a lot...ALL THE TIME. I did not ever think that I would grow up to be that person who worries about this. I think things like 'dear lord, I'm 27 and I haven't found a career yet,' but more often than not, I think 'dear lord, I'm 27, still single with no prospects in sight.' I can't believe I am that girl who thinks in the singledom vs coupledom process. Not to say that I don't enjoy being single, because I do, I'm having a fab time with my friends. And they are all (ok, most of them) single to, so it doesn't seem like a big deal.

However, I would like to point out that in the past two weeks, I have been asked a question three times I had not yet encountered in my 27 years. And it's bringing about the 'dear lord, I'm 27 and single' feelings in a not so nice fashion.

"Do you have any children?"

Do I have any children????? WTF!!!!!!! Usually I get asked "Are you old enough to be drinking that beer?" because I surely don't look like I'm 27. (Or behave as such). Do I have any children??? So now my neurosis over being 27 will evolve to 'dear lord, I'm 27, single, no prospects of marriage, and will have a withered up uterus in no time and not be able to have any children at all by the time I do get married....'

People should first ask "Are you married" before they ask if I have children. I know that marriage first is not always the case these days (my brother is a prime example), but still, be polite and ask. When I say no, assume there are no children.

Do I have children....sheesh. I don't even know if I want children. But I don't want a withered up uterus, I want the option to be there. Oh people.....how they distract me and make me think crazy things.

No comments: