Saturday, May 5, 2007

And on the 7th day....there was still one more left

I have always known that I am the kind of person who draws from my "well of energy" by being alone~I crave time alone, where I come out rejuvenated and ready to keep moving forward. These past eight days with my mom, where I barely could take a pee by myself, have been a bit of a strain for me. And I felt like such a jerk, because I could feel my temper rising, my annoyance increasing. I had to bit my tongue sooooooooo many times...a few times I didn't....I'm a bad daughter.

Utter irony is that I've been noticing that the qualities that I don't like about myself, have come straight from my mother. I feel at the stage I am at now, I am not too annoying, and have the ability to curb them from getting worse. She, on the other hand, seems to have these qualities magnified over the years. For example, I have a bad habit of repeating myself, I am forgetful of what I tell people, and get excited when I think I have something new to say. Turns out, it's usually not news to them. My mother will tell me the same thing numerous times over a non-specific period of time. On the drive home, for example, she told me the same sentence 7 times in the span of a couple hours. Yes, I will acknowledge that she was incredibly tired, and was likely telling me this for the sake of talking. But still....I already know mom, stop talking. Hmmm....I don't think I want to list off the things I find annoying about myself, and even more so of my mother. After all, she might come to bloggerland one day and read this (eek!!!!).

So let me sum up the trip. We stayed at The Domaine Bourget Inn & Spa, in Bourget, Ontario. It is such a quaint, beautiful place out in the country, it really was peaceful and relaxing. Bourget is a small French community about half an hour outside of Ottawa (Who know it was French...imagine our suprise....!) My mother has a different idea of experiencing a city than I do. Her idea is shopping. And while I love shopping, it is something that I can do at home, anytime I want. And it's not even like we went shopping downtown in boutiques, or in markets. No, we hit up the outlet stores. Yes, I found a coolio purse from Winners (hehehe....you should have heard the debate in my head--do I buy the amazing pink puma's or the awsome matt & nat purse....), and yes, I scored at La Senza with a free sports bra, it just wouldn't have been my first choice.


Thankfully, we took a day and went all the way into Ottawa (all shopping was in the suburbs), and went to the Canadian Museum of Civilization. It is one of my favourite museums, and I was delighted to share it with my mom, as she had never been there. Very cool. We spent a day and got facials at the spa (very relaxing), drank wine and enjoyed the ambiance. We spent a day and drove to Montreal, where we (suprise) spent the day shopping in the Eaton Centre (where it would have been cool to buy the matt & nat purse, but alas, Winners it was in Cornwall). We had intended on visiting a specific church, but time went too fast and we had to leave. So now I have pictures of buildings in Montreal taken from the drivers seat while sitting at red lights. So spectacular.

But don't get me wrong, I had a great time! We got a lot of work accomplished (the intent of the trip was to work on the development of the business we are starting!), and spent good mother-daughter time together. However, I think that if we arrange to take a trip again together, it should either not be for as long, or I need to take a day in the middle of it to do my own thing. That way, I won't be tempted to strangle her.

1 comment:

Stargazer said...

Glad you managed to make it through the week without killing your mum! I missed you a lot and am looking forward to chatting to you more when you get home/back to work. xoox