Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Edible Religion

I came across the most ironic article that I have read in a long time. It seems there is an art gallery somewhere in New York City~in the Bronx I think~that has created a lifesize chocolate figure of our beloved saviour, Jesus Christ. He appears in dark chocolate form in the position he is famous for.


Anywho, the gist of the article is that this gallery wanted to display chocolate Jesus for the week prior to Easter, right through to Easter Monday. He would only be on display for a couple hours a day. The local Christian community went nutso over this!!! They felt it was blasphemous. I suppose if I was severly Christian, I would be offened too. As it turns out, I'm a regular run of mill Christian, and my relationship with the big J is a funny one.

Meaning I find chocolate Jesus incredibly funny and told all my friends.

The best part of the article was when the gallery owner was quoted something like "I thought at the end of the showing, we could all take a bite." Hahahahahaha!
Further blasphemy....I notice that the chocolate Jesus is not wearing anything around his waist. I'm sure the Christian ladies were embarrassed to see his "thing" (dear lord, I hope they were not aroused), which surely led to more outcry.
I say props to the art gallery for having the courage and creativity to show this. And props to the chocolate artist too for having such vision. Though why he/she picked chocolate as a medium, I can only assume has to do with the Easter bunny. A bit conflicting to me, but funny nonetheless.
Woop woop. I love Easter. I love chocolate. I love Jesus.


No comments: