Monday, April 16, 2007

You Call That a Secret?

This past weekend I went to Toronto with my mom to a full day seminar based on The Secret. There were 5 speakers (plus one very funny comedian as the the host) who were fabulous motivational speakers in their own right.

They said a lot of great things, things that got me thinking about my own life and what I can be doing to make it better and make myself happier~general improvements, I guess.

The thing that gets me the most about all this, is what they are saying is common sense to me. If you want to achieve success in your life--whether that is monetary, family, health, career, friendships, etc--you must be positive and work for it. Why is that a "secret"? Should we all not realize this is the case? The whole 'you get what you give' mentality, to me, is just common sense. If I treat someone with respect, I expect that I will get it in return--not necessarily from that specific person, but from somewhere.

However, I suppose one could argue that our society has been one of continual busyness. One where we don't take the time to think about these simple things that you can do to improve your situation. We focus so much on the right now and the 'get it done' jobs that we don't take time to nurture ourselves internally. And it takes someone standing up on a stage telling us to do it, to actually do it.

I really had to pick and choose the statements that they said in regard to what I agreed with. Their lectures ranged from fun-motivational to how-to-be-a-millionaire. I don't know so much about the how-to-be-a-millionaire; I can't say I agree with the message he was putting across that money=happiness, happiness=money. While he had some valid points, I also wanted to drop kick him out of the room and tell him he was an ass. But you must pick your battles wisely...this would not have been a worthwhile battle.

My favourite speaker of the day spoke about knowing yourself, believing in yourself, and being yourself. She said that if you want to get to where you dream of being, you have to know where you are right now, and acknowledge the things in your life that need some fixin', and acknowledge the great things in your life too. I liked that a whole lot.

I am going to take her advice, if you can call it advice I guess, and figure out where I am, and then work on where I want to be.

I guess I'll start making a list. It would be common sense to make a list, wouldn't it?

No comments: